The Natatorium

An emporium of oddities from around the world, complete with somewhat informative plaques that almost never match the item they are meant to be describing.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Countdown: Icebox

My city is encased in ice.

We have no power at my house, some of my friends have no water, and all in all it's quite the semi-apocalypic scenario.

I actually rather like it.

My family is huddled together in my aunt's house, I think there are close to 30 people here, and I find it rather cozy. I must admit I like semi-apocalyptic scenarios, because a) It's an adventure, b) it makes you grateful for what you have and c) it makes for excellent stories later on. I actually can't think of a better way to spend my last few days in the country than trapped in an unusual situation with 30 or so friends and relations.

Some people, when they lost power, gave up and went to a hotel, but not my family. At our house, dad brought a gas stove in to cook on and we heated the house with the fireplace. We have a hurricane lamp and dozens of candles and flashlights for light. Crashing sounds can be heard every few minutes as one tree after another gives up a limb or gives up completely.

I realize that I can't seem to write this properly, but I think my mind is a bit scattered. I've had so many thoughts the past few days, regarding Children of Men, which I saw Friday night before much damage was done, my immenent departure, and semi-apocalyptic scenarios. This is the first internet access I've had since Friday night, which isn't a terribly long time I know, but now it's all tumbling out disorganized. I wish I could post pictures, but I don't have my camera cable with me. Anyway it just looks like all the pictures they're showing on the news. I don't think there's a tree in Springfield left intact.