The Natatorium

An emporium of oddities from around the world, complete with somewhat informative plaques that almost never match the item they are meant to be describing.

Sunday, August 01, 2004

Mind Games

It is very dark. I am poised, tense, balanced on the balls of my feet on concrete sub-flooring. There is a drip coming from my far left, some twenty feet away and slightly behind me. I give not the slightest thought to finding a lightswitch.

I wait.

I take in the dank, plain air of this vault. It is cool.

I smell.

I try to catch a scent, but it eludes me time and again.

I know he's here.

I close my eyes.

I feel.

I focus my mind on every inch of my exposed skin, from the tops of my shoulders to the tips of my fingers, trying to feel a breeze, a warmth, anything that might tell me where he is.

Nothing. Nothing but a tingling of anticipation.

I release my skin, forget it's there. I numb it out entirely, for it has betrayed me.

I turn my mind inward. Deep into my core, I tune all of my senses.

I wait.

There.

My eyes snap open.