The Natatorium

An emporium of oddities from around the world, complete with somewhat informative plaques that almost never match the item they are meant to be describing.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

A Castle, A Cathedral, A Zombie, and I MET A BOY..

"Ha-HA!" is my victorious cry. *I* met a boy. Yes I did. Or rather, *he* met *me.* I went to see the Envy Corps at the Koko Club in Camden Town, at Hannah's Suggestion, and he asked me to dance. We danced and shouted at each other over the music several times over the course of the evening, and at the end of the night he got my number. Today he texted me. Ha ha. I met a British Boy. Well, British-Syrian. He is cool. He is British-born of Syrian origin, a Sunni Muslim Communist with a good sense of humor (somewhere, my grandmother's head is exploding).

I don't know him well enough to know if I like him or not, but from our shouted conversations I gathered that he is quite intelligent, willing to discuss politics and religion at length (a big plus, I LOVE doing that) and has a sense of humor. If any of you have an image in your head of a Scary Arab With A Turban and A Machine Gun Who Will Kidnap/Forcibly Marry Natalie and Carry Her Off to Syria, please, stop it now. Just stop.

As I said, I don't know if I "like" him like him (I suddenly feel 12) because I just met him, but he seems like a nice guy (seriously, STOP.) and I wanted to meet locals anyway. He introduced me to some of his friends who were there, mostly white Brits from what I could tell. He wants to hang out this weekend. Haha. I met a local!

Another fun story from last night:

We got out of the club around 1:00am and went to the bus stop across the street to catch the 24-hr neighborhood bus, and waited for quite a while with our fellow patrons for one to arrive. We waited a good 20 minutes, and no bus. This would have been okay except that Kristen had to pee rather desperately. So desperately, in fact, that instead of waiting another moment, she hailed a cab. While we were riding back to the college, the cab driver nearly ran over this shadowy figure in the middle of the road. There was a man, walking down the middle of the street, shuffling and stumbling not entirely unlike a zombie, wavering from side to side not entirely unlike a zombie, and when he finally moved aside enough for the car to pass, he looked over his shoulder at us and we saw in his eyes a vacant, sad look not entirely unlike that of a zombie and a slight headwound not ENTIRELY unlike one characteristic of your average zombie. Marie and I looked at each other and knew we were thinking the same thing. "Zombie," we said. After a beat or two, she said, "Actually, you guys, if there was a zombie attack, I don't know what I would do!" Shocked, I responded, "You don't have a zombie contingency plan???" "Not here," she said. "Of course I have one at home." It suddenly hit me: *I* did not have a zombie contingency plan for London, either. "Oh my god," I said, "We have to work this out!" We still haven't gotten around to it yet, but it's on the to-do list.

In other news, I went to a very very very old Castle today in the English Countryside, called Leeds Castle. It was quite cool. There were lots of exotic birds there. Next we went to Canterbury (of the famous Tales, of course) and saw the town and cathedral. We almost didn't go into the cathedral because we were mad that we had to pay to go in a church, but once we coughed up 4 quid 50p each, we were glad we did. It was incredible; the biggest room I've ever been in in my life. As massively impressive and awe-inspiring as it is today, I can't imaging how awesome it was for people in Chaucer's day. No wonder they walked so far.

The castle and the cathedral are better described in pictures than words, unless I had about 5 days to type out descriptions of everything, which I don't, so I encourage you to visit my flickr site. My username is siren7. Click the link on the left.

That's all for now, cheers from Londontown.