The Natatorium

An emporium of oddities from around the world, complete with somewhat informative plaques that almost never match the item they are meant to be describing.

Friday, October 29, 2004

Drops

Tonight my life fell around me in drops
like the rain that polka-dotted the surface of my skin
with circular liquid kisses

The faces were mismatched inside their drops
and had strange elements
a cigarette
a smile

The lightening that used to make my pulse jump
became a drop in itself
and fell upon my arm
like a "thinking of you" card

Likewise, his face fell all around me
the digits of his phone number
each in its own drop, tempted me
but one was missing
only six instead of seven
the perfect number

He is a seven like me, but tonight
he was another drop, scrambled
in this shower of my life

I felt like screaming, Why don't you love me
or
How can you live with yourself without apologizing

But running in the rain
with the drops of my life
smacking my forehead, kissing my
cheeks and stinging my eyes
is almost good enough