The Natatorium

An emporium of oddities from around the world, complete with somewhat informative plaques that almost never match the item they are meant to be describing.

Sunday, December 07, 2003

Whew! I am so busy! I still have a bunch of schoolwork to do, so I better get crackin'. Jenny posted something today that I have always wondered about: wiggers (btw i *hate* that word, but there isn't another to describe them). Full story here. Another cultural "conundrum" I have: why is it that when a race has a certain culture, such as "hip hop" or whatever you want to call it, anyone who trashes that culture (by saying it's ignorant or something like that) is labled a "racist", whereas if you trash the "hillbilly" culture (and it *is* a culture), that's perfectly okay, because it's a subculture of whites? And believe me, hillbilly culture is trashed all the time. Yes, it's true, there are a lot of ignorant, trashy people out there, but not all folks labled "hillbilly" are that way. I don't talk with a twang or own any pigs, but my grandparents came from small country towns, and bluegrass gospel is part of our heritage. It just seems kind of unfair.

PS-which one o'yall left that noxema in my downstairs bathroom???