The Natatorium

An emporium of oddities from around the world, complete with somewhat informative plaques that almost never match the item they are meant to be describing.

Thursday, October 23, 2003

So, thanks to everyone who *didn't* come to my henna party tonight. I know Thursday night is weird, but this was the only night Katelyn could do it... wait, Katelyn didn't SHOW UP!!!!!! Blaarrr.... I'm having this thing whether you people like it or not. I'm scheduling a month in advance. I'm buying flowers and Indian appetizers. That way, when no one shows up, they don't have an excuse and I've spent a lot of money. Hmph. That'll show 'em.

Meanwhile, in the comments of my last post, it turns out that people actually *do* read this thing. Strange, I know. It seems I touched a nerve with some of my religious/political references. For future reference, I never *intend* to offend anyone... maybe with the exception of "anti-lifers". Anyway, if something I say sounds unreasonable or offensive, it's probably because I was too emotion to pay attention to my language usage and wording.

I was really upset about all the things I read last night, but I think I've calmed down a bit now. People of all faiths, unite to end abortion! And, uh.... read my blog.

Wow! I'm the link of the day on some-guy-I-don't-know's blog. I think that's grounds for making him *my* link of the day. Rough-Draft

I'm starting to feel obligated to put a quizilla on my page every day, just because that's the only way I know to put any kind of image/picture on this thing, and while they're usually dumb and weird, at least they're pretty.

Season = Winter
You're Most Like The Season Winter ...

You're often depicted as the cold, distant season.
But you're incredibly intelligent, mature and
Independant. You have an air of power around
you - and that can sometimes scare people off.
You're complex, and get hurt easily - so you
rarely let people in if you can help it. You
can be somewhat of a loner, but just as easily
you could be the leader of many. You Tend to be
negative, and hard to relate to, but you give
off a relaxed image despite being insecure -
and secretly many people long to be like you,
not knowing how deep the Winter season really
is.

Well done... You're the most inspirational of
seasons :)


?? Which Season Are You ??
brought to you by Quizilla

See, isn't that pretty? Oh, and for all you readers out there in cyberspace who attend KHS, I heard something pretty funny today.

"If it were my daughter, the situation would not even *OCCUR*!" ---Wilson Fok, on being asked if he would allow his hypothetical 17-year-old daughter to go on an overnight weekend trip with her 22-year-old boyfriend. The shocking thing is, he actually had a fair ammount of *emotion* in his voice!

Speaking of Wilson... and... classes we have together... (hey, something had to tie together these paragraphs. linking my random thoughts can be challenging sometimes)... I had the hardest calculus test of my *life* today. It completely ate my lunch. I am not even kidding. They've all been hard, but this one was multiple guess, open book, open notes, calculators permitted, and it was *still* impossible! I think my Calculus teacher was afraid all of his other (brain wrenching) test had been too easy, because some people in the class got more than half the questions right. So he concocted a brand new way to sabotage our grades. His intricate scheme ran thus:

1) Give the test after the class has studied the material for over a month, is very comfortable with it, and has even progressed to another level of Calculus. This will make them overconfident, since they easily work problems from this chapter daily.

2) Give a Quiz the day before and tell them it is a "preview" of the test. Make the quiz very, very simple and comprised of the types of problems they have been taught to work. Make sure this quiz is something a reasonable teacher would give,

3) Give the test in two parts. The first part will be given before lunch break, and will be expected to be completed in 15 minutes. Make Part One just as reasonable and workable as the "Quiz" the day before, but make the last question something completely foreign that they have not learned yet. After careful study, the students should be able to figure out the trick to this last, "challenging" question, thereby believing they have solved the great "trick" on the test and are henceforth "out of the woods" so to speak.

Tell the class that after lunch, they will receive Part Two, which is only 25 questions, multiple choice, and open book/note/calculator. This will assure that they will not scramble-study over the lunch break, and the information will *NOT* be fresh in their minds.

4) When they return from lunch, placid and smiling, smack them over the head with the hardest damn set of 25 questions they have ever seen. Make sure it is a cumulative review of everything learned in the course thus far, but remember: *do not tell them this beforehand!* You MUST make them believe they are *only* testing over the materials they have just learned. Pick out the most unique and abstract problems that you can find, but make sure they are not in the book or the student's notes. It is also crucial that they not be workable by calculator.

5) Put their quarter grade thus far on their test, so that before they begin they can know exactly how much is on the line and just how well they *have* to do for their final grade, which will be entirely unalterable after the completion of this test.

6) Watch as they begin to read the questions, shuffle through their notes, leaf frantically through their textbooks, and punch numbers in their calculators in vain.

7) Smile as the desperate looks of horror pass unmistakably across their faces.


I seriously wanted to cry. More than that, I actually fantasized about throwing my calculator on the ground, screaming "&#$! this!!", and storming out. I think I almost did. Then I realized that the only way to salvage my grade was to press on through the damn thing.

My Calculus teacher is a sadist. He seriously cringes at the thought of us all getting A's. I've seen it. He winces.

It's a good thing half of us are failing. Ha ha. Ha. If I can just hold on to that 91.2%... just... hold... on....