The Natatorium

An emporium of oddities from around the world, complete with somewhat informative plaques that almost never match the item they are meant to be describing.

Wednesday, December 24, 2003

I wasn't going to write anything tonight, but then Michael left a comment about how he never gets to have nightmares anymore.... so I thought I'd hit you all with this.

The night after the nightmare-fest I had another medley of strong and strange dreams. They weren't quite as coherent (and therefore not as interesting, at least to me) as the previous night, but one thing made them stand out--at one point I was having a Lucid Dream within a dream. That was so cool. For those of you who don't know, a lucid dream is when you realize you're dreaming, *while* you're dreaming. This allows you to a)release all inhibitions and do whatever the hell you want and b)to control your dream world and go totally Matrix on everyone's @$$. It's awesome. However, if you don't lucid dream often or your lucid dreaming is weak (like mine) you may not be confident in the fact that you're dreaming; as in, you may be uncertain about the "okay-ness" of releasing your inhibitions. That makes it less fun, and even more infuriating when you wake up and realize all the fun you could have had.

The other thing about weak lucid dreaming is that when you try to control your dream world, you make encounter problems with your superpowers. I'm out of practice, so the other night, I experienced a little trouble. The first thing I did when I became "aware" of the situation was give myself perfect vision. In my waking life, I'm blind without glasses and sometimes that carries over into my dreams, which is really annoying. Then I think I gave myself some telepathy, and then I made the person I wanted to see appear. The problem was, since I was out of practice my vision would sometimes falter, like an interruption in a TV signal. I could feel myself mentally concentrating harder, and beads of sweat starting to form on my forehead as I fought for control of the dream. It was a little frusterating, and the dream didn't last long, but I'm confident that if I keep at it I'll be able to improve.

Hannah and I were talking about this and we agreed that what we needed was some extended lucid dreaming time to practice our skillz in. It would be awesome if some sleep doctors could send us automatically into a lucid dream state, so we could practice our powers and improve our control. Just like jacking into the Matrix, baby. Oh yeah.